Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Floating

- Floating from travel sickness because I´ve spent the best part of a day on a coach.

- Floating because I still haven´t managed to eat a proper meal for nearly 4 days.

- Floating because my accommodation tonight looks like this:


The Catamaran Island Hotel

Antigua (former capital of Guatemala) was another beautiful city, nestled amongst the mountains - and some active volcanoes. A bit of a tourist haven and crawling with language students - though if I decided to do an immersion course in Spanish - I think I could just about drag myself over here for a couple of months.

We left there pretty early this morning and drove out to Rio Dulce via the capital, Guatemala City, at rush-hour (not a pleasant looking place with some serious slums in the rift valley running through it) and stopped at some more Mayan ruins at Quirigua. No challenging steps this time - but some of the largest stelae in the Mayan world (and a lot of sun and biting insects).

I´m playing on the internet in our hotel while my fellow travellers have some dinner. I´ve played it safe with a bit of bread and some rehydration salts, as we´ve got a boat trip out to the coast in the morning - and I don´t want to miss another precious sight-seeing day (it´s not like I´m about to waste away!).

Right - I´m off to stare at the stars and listen to the waves glugging around my cabin. It´s a tough life.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks amazing. Glad to hear your having a good time albeit with some bad bits. Believe me, it beats an office in the black country hands down.

21/2/06 8:46 am  
Blogger LB said...

I used to have a summer house that looked like that, except it wasn't on stilts above the water. And it wasn't in Guatemala, clearly.

rich tea biscuits. Aren't they good for a jippy yummy?

22/2/06 10:57 am  
Blogger Alecya G said...

wow. Gorgeous. lucky, lucky you

22/2/06 9:04 pm  
Blogger -L said...

Sarah, I just came across your blog due to the wonderful SwissToni. I'm very excited to read about your adventures!!! I love, love, love hearing about others' travels. I've very envious - a whole year, hey!

3/3/06 10:26 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Leah - nice to see you here. Afraid I'll have to disappoint this weekend as I'm in the distinctly unglamorous location of Eindhoven - I'll catch up with tales of Tanzania and Central America soon, I hope.

In the meantime I have to deal with the after effects of a day in the Tipsy Duck and a comatose Lord Bargain after watching the local football team win 4-1.

Go PSV!

4/3/06 11:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home