Thursday, April 06, 2006

Psshtecuff, Pssshtecuff...

Well, that's officially one quarter of my Sabbatical year behind me.

To celebrate the fact that I still have nine months to go, I'm going to spend two and a half days on a train from Toronto to Jasper, in the Canadian Rockies.
Who knows - it could look like this

I've had a busy week since I spotted the random skier on Mont Royal. After a couple more great days in Montreal, I headed over to Grand Island, Buffalo to spend a long weekend with one of my oldest friends, Heidi, and her lovely family:


Yesterday Marek, Heidi's husband, drove me up to Toronto in a thinly veiled excuse to visit the local Polish neighbourhood - particularly Benna's deli. They do a mean sausage (so mean, it's still repeating on me now). Today, I had planned on having a wander around the city - to reacquaint myself with the place. However, once the wet snow started to fall, I wussed out and popped to the theatre to catch a matinee of the World Premiere performance of the Lord of the Rings musical. I dont care what the critics have said - I loved the books, I loved the films...and I loved this production. I was captivated for (what felt like) a short three and a half hours.
Unleash the schoolbus

This evening, Sabbatical trips collided when I went to visit Dorothy, who I met on my trip to Tanzania. She treated me to a gourmet meal of home cooked fresh lobster and champagne, and we reminisced about the holiday (and I finally found someone who didn't tire of the unedited version of my holiday snaps!)
Dorothy's roomate, Lily

So, that's a very quick catch-up - what have you been up to?

7 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

is that Ivor the Engine?

good lord.

6/4/06 12:17 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

errr yes - not that I remember the black and white version, of course.

6/4/06 12:19 pm  
Blogger -L said...

How do you know Heidi, Sarah?

Have fun on the train! How do you like to pass the time?

6/4/06 6:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the photo of Lily!

7/4/06 11:30 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Leah,

Heidi's Mum and my Mum were pregnant at the same time, and Heidi and I pretty much knew each other from birth! We went to school together and around 12 years ago - she married Marek, an American, and emigrated to Buffalo!

re. the train - I have just arrived in Jasper - and feel like I've got jetlag due to the sporadic sleep episodes I've had over the past two nights. I thought I'd have lots of time to myself on the journey, but in reality I've spent most of my time laughing and talking to other people on the train. It's been a lot fun and time flew surprisingly quickly... I'll put some photos up later on - after I've had a sleep, a shower...and been to the pub with my new friends!

8/4/06 11:17 pm  
Blogger -L said...

Sarah, your train adventure sounds like fantastic fun! Hurrah! Thanks for sharing. :)

10/4/06 5:09 pm  
Blogger Jenni said...

I hope the next three-quarters of your trip bring many more exciting experiences! Enjoy yourself. I'm incredibly jealous!

11/4/06 5:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home