Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Deja vu

G'day!

Today's stunning observation: Sydney really is a lot like Vancouver - but back-to-front.

Not a lot to tell yet. Arrived here safely on Monday morning after a sleep-free flight from Tokyo (having a row of seats to oneself does not necessarily make for a more restful journey). Since then I've done a fair bit of catching up on the ZZZs missed, along with a trip up the Sydney Tower (had to do my usual trick of getting my bearings via the medium of vertigo), a walk around the city centre and circular quay and a trip on the ferry to Manly (which is the cheap way to do a harbour cruise!). I like Manly - it's got a relaxed feeling to it and a great coffee shop in Beanrush (I stumbled upon it before I'd read that the Lonely Planet recommends it), which I'll be revisiting after I've done the Spit to Manly walk sometime in the next few days - when the weather's a bit less gloomy.

My accommodation is far more down-to-earth than Tokyo (no fancy seat-warming toilets here) but it's a friendly place and close to the train station for trips to the Blue Mountains etc.

My last day in Tokyo was fun - I toured the subway system again (even venturing onto a different line this time) and got some great photos of the Harajuku kids in Tokyo (they get together on the weekend and dress as kind of gothic barbie dolls) but have so far been unable to transfer them onto the internet - however, while having a little search around the internet for an example of what I saw, I came across this on flickr (have a nosey if you like very sweet stories).

Right - time to catch the ferry back to Sydney (more photo ops of the harbour bridge/opera house panorama).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Sarah
Thanks for the text. Currently neck-deep in boxes, waiting for the packers to come round. Hopefully, within the next week, I'll discard the sense of life-admin panic, and replace it with the sense of freedom you have.

I lived in Balmain when in Sydney; you can catch the ferry from the Op House and it'll take you there if interested.

Rightio, back to the admin.
V
PS Yes, have been to Japan, and yes, it was totally Lost In Translation!

26/9/06 11:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home