Saturday, November 18, 2006

N...n..n.. nineteen





Free internet isn't all it's cracked up to be y'know.

There's generally a time limit and a queue of anxious people watching your every move. Not the best conditions in which to organise flights and hotels for a country which does not yet use convenient online booking systems (how quickly we get used to technology) - and is, this weekend, hosting a huge APEC gathering (including one Mr George W, I believe); which means that our original plan of starting in Hanoi was scuppered by unavailability of hotels (or reluctance by hotels to book in anyone not involved in the conference). I swear these world leaders are following me around the globe - there was a China/Africa summit going on in Beijing whilst we were there.

Anyway - the above is also a preamble to another excuse/apology for the lack of information about our trip to China. Every minute I've spent on the internet this week has been used to book/negotiate/plead with hoteliers in Vietnam - and, ahem, a following trip to Thailand for which I've changed my homecoming date (now the 7th Dec).

We're leaving for Vietnam this afternoon - starting in Ho Chi Minh then travelling up the coast through Mui Ne, Hoi An and Hue with a final night in Hanoi before we return next Sunday - then back over to Koh Samui on the Monday!

nb - for anyone who is interested (and concerned about my relative silence on the subject...) - I'll be spending my birthday in Hoi An. That's next Wednesday, the 22nd - for anyone who doesn't know/has conveniently forgotten/has tried to ignore my hints.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scare. 7th December !!! I see. Sounds like you are having an awful time. I am currently in an internet cafe in the middle of Etosha National Park in Namibia. 4.30pm and its 35 degrees in the shade. This is the only place I can find with air con.Nonetheless having an amazing time. See you later. D Oh and Happy Birthday for Wednesday !!!

19/11/06 3:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries about not updating, Sarah...You'll have plenty of time to do that properly when you return home. We are patient peeps. Until then...keep adventuring and having fun! :)

20/11/06 6:32 pm  
Blogger Mat & Yvette said...

Hello big Sis,

Have a lovely birthday, enjoy the rest of your holiday. Look forward to seeing you before Christmas, with an edited selection of your photos and the Fred Dineage slideshow feature or whatever its called.

Love, Mat.

21/11/06 10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home