Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Another Day in Paradise*

It's my last day in Australia today.

As I had a bit of internet admin to do, I thought I'd post a couple of pics of my recent trip down the East coast while I'm online.

The first is Whitehaven beach on Whitsunday Island. Just one of a few islands we visited on my short sailing trip.


We had a paddle in the water down there - cooing at the baby tiger sharks which swam around our feet. They're not so cute when fully grown!

Apparently, the sailing trip which immediately preceded ours had gale-force winds and rain for the entire journey. We were far more fortunate - barely any wind (meaning our sailing experiences consisted of us helping to hoist sails - look up at them flapping about in a mild breeze for 15 minutes - and then lower the same sails again) - and lots of sunshine, which made snorkelling for a couple of hours at a time bearable. Oh, and I finally saw a stingray whilst snorkelling around Lamgford reef (that will be the last mention of them - I promise!)

I travelled overnight from Airlie Beach (3 hours after getting off the sailing boat) down to Hervey Bay, where I spent the next day whale-watching (mother and calf pods of Humpback whales) then travelled over to Fraser Island for a couple of days. It's the largest sand island in the world - a factor which couldn't be lost on us as we hiked up a 1km sandblow (effectively a sand dune - and one of the smaller ones!)


By the time we reached the top (in the midday heat) - this looked like a desert mirage:

The speck in the middle of that lake is me. Anyone seen Lake Placid?


And finally... anyone with a nervous disposition should turn away now.



I know I promised not to post a photo of the stinger suit, but this made me laugh(I think it's supposed to minimise the impact of a sting, not scare the lethal gelatinoids away)

Any comments referring to a gimp mask will be treated with the contempt deserved when ones mother reads ones blog

Next stop Hong Kong.


*Yes. My travelling earworms for SwissToni's blog will be truly awful

3 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

is that a gimp mask you are wearing?

*ducks*

24/10/06 11:52 am  
Blogger Metro said...

Oh you lucky, lucky beast!

I am --well homesick's not the word, how can I be homesick for somewhere I only experienced briefly?

I had originally planned a boat tour of the Whitsundays. Let that be a lesson to you: The cheapest tour boat always blows an engine the day before you arrive.

So they set me up on Hook Island, where I lived like a drunken castaway for four glorious days.

And I wish I was there now. I'll never forget either Placid or Tea lakes.

Some of my favourite memories. And here I am in an open-plan office as the October winds begin to blow snow clouds down the valley ...

I could sell the car. The wife'd hardly miss it ...

24/10/06 9:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, your photos make me incredibly jealous. I hope you enjoy the remainder of your trip!

27/10/06 11:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home