Monday, October 02, 2006

Catch ya later, Sydney



It's not the best photo - but look - I was 'ere!

Sydney has been great - a gorgeous city and first impressions helped enormously by the fabulous weather (mid 20s with a sea breeze for most of the week). I didn't make it back to Manly for that walk, but did take in a pretty good substitute (I believe) in the coastal walk from Bondi to Coogee beach. It has been a holiday long weekend here and the beaches were pretty busy.


Whilst wandering around the rest of the city I've also walked across the harbour bridge (no - not via the bridge climb, my fear of heights was kicked into gear just by looking up at the nutters in their fancy climbing suits) ambled around the Rocks (where the first white settlers lived) and visited the aquarium with its underwater tunnels (stingrays get rather large don't they).

I'm flying to Uluru tomorrow morning to spend a couple of nights/mornings marvelling at some red rocks - and then it's up to Cairns to see those stingrays in their natural habitat (don't worry, Mum, I don't plan on getting as close as Aussie hero, Steve Irwin).

4 Comments:

Blogger Metro said...

D'you plan to climb Uluru? Nicer name than "Ayer's Rock" I think.

I intended to. I suppose there's no real excuse except that I don't believe in "forbidden" places--"sacred" yes, "forbidden" no.

But the night before I went, in a place where it rains perhaps eighty inches in a flood year, it hailed.

Not just scattered ice pellets, but a curtain that walked across the landscape for ten minutes before it hit us and sent us scampering for shelter.

I took it as a sign. Not a sign from anyone, but a sign nonetheless.

Besides--they cancel the climb at any excuse these days, and the smell of rain is one of those excuses.

Enjoy your visit to the Red Centre--post a picture of the Whale!

2/10/06 4:36 pm  
Blogger Flash said...

I am very, very envious.

2/10/06 5:28 pm  
Blogger Mat & Yvette said...

Good to see that you're having a lovely time in Sydney. Glad that the weather's been fine. The concert sounds fab.

Have fun at Uluru and in Queensland.

We're off to Greece for a week from tomorrow (Tuesday 03rd Oct), so will be offline.

Look forward to seeing what you've been up to when I get back.

Love

Mat.

2/10/06 8:50 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Metro - I never had any intention to climb, and when I saw the route I had to wonder what gave people the urge to have a go (Anangu people's concerns aside). I also experienced one of the hailstorms you mention - I hope to get a photo or even video (depending on internet access in Cairns) online later on. Bonkers!
Flash - your time in Prague sounds pretty cool though...
Lizzy - sorry to hear the weather has been inclement (if it makes yuo feel better, I did get soaked yesterday).
M&Y - hope you've had a fab holiday.

5/10/06 2:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home