Friday, September 29, 2006

Haunting notes, pizzicato strings



Serendipity.

I've just seen the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra perform at the Sydney Opera House! Ok - I was sitting on the steps outside, with 5,000 other cheapskates - but the setting couldn't be faulted and we had a special 'impromptu' performance from a few members of the orchestra and the conductor, Valery Gergiev, came out and said a few words. All this because I happened to be walking through the Botanic Gardens as they were setting up the port-a-loos for the event!

I deduced that they, along with the 100m-long queue along the quay at 5.30pm, were not the norm for an Opera House performance so asked the nearest queueing couple what was going on. John and Norma told me that the demand for tickets to see this gig had been so high that the Opera House decided to lay on a special night for those who couldn't get into the auditorium. As I had no other plans for the evening, I joined them. The concert was superb (Mozart's 36th Symphony and Tchaikovsky's 5th, if you're curious), John and Norma's travel advice priceless and the lift back to my accommodation an unexpected bonus.

A very good day indeed.

5 Comments:

Blogger swisslet said...

I'm vaguely connected with one of the oboe players in this orchestra. He is a bit of a twat.

just thought I'd share!

Glad you enjoyed them. They are extraordinarily highly regarded, although I have to say that I'm not sure why. I was lucky enough to see them play in Vienna, and they (and most classical music, to be honest) left me cold.

I'm just an ignoramus though. I'd rather see Iron Maiden any day of the week. At least they play their own material!

ST

29/9/06 6:11 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Philistine!

The only thing that left me cold was the harbour breeze last night (boom boom!).

30/9/06 4:27 am  
Blogger Metro said...

Drifting past via Amanda's blog and I'm sick jealous.

What luck to actually get into a performance! I saw the kiddies rehearsing for the Olympic opening ceremonies, but that was just while passing by on the tour.

Oz is one of the two countries really worth living in on this little green globe of ours. Enjoy it to the full.

30/9/06 2:32 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hi Metro - if I've got you right - you're living in the other one (jealous right back atcha)..

1/10/06 7:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get you culture vulture. Although, lifts aside I do think consorting with Mr and Mrs Grey Pants Tory T*ssers is a bit much. Where are your standards ?

1/10/06 10:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home